art, design, comics, animation and whatever else i can think of

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Don't mess with the mouse!


I am always delighted when a Lou Romano post graces my RSS feed. The man is amazing. His posts are infrequent at best (I should talk), but when they come, whether it's thumbnail storyboards, color studies, concept art, a personal project, or just WTF, there is something mouthwateringly irresistible about his mid-century modern, retro-beebop style that just gets me every time.

It's been a while since Romano posted anything so when I saw the Something Marvelous post, of course I went and checked it out. Holy cow! Pretty subversive for such a prominent Lieutenant in the Mouse's Army (granted he's stationed in a norther outpost of the Magic Kingdom, but nonetheless...) I was curious if anyone else thought this was a little off the charts considering the source (I mean it's great don't get me wrong, I love it but it's blasphemy coming from a Pixar guy). Google reader didn't show any comments, so I went to look at the post directly: Page not found. I went to the home page of his blog and top of the feed is a post from July about Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett. Looks like the post has been removed.

Am I just being paranoid to think that Disney strong-armed Romano to pull down the post? Or did he just think better of it? Did he get a couple of voice mail messages from fellow Pixarians: "Dude, do you hate your job or what?" Maybe he got a late night visit from Goofy and Donald and their friends Brass Knuckles and Baseball Bat. Whatever the case, the full size image is still up on the blogspot server even if the post has been removed. Take look before the Mouse himself shows up on Romano's doorstep with a cannoli.

archived posts